In this episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Dr Ralph-Christian Ohr about ambidexterity, dual innovation and what it takes to scale up new ventures.
Rather than there being a single best way to set up an ambidextrous organisation, it requires a set of key principles which all innovation teams and companies need to display.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:15 – How Ralph got started on Dual Innovation
- 00:03:30 – The challenge of exploring and exploiting innovation at the same time
- 00:07:30 – How innovation dies at the handovers, especially when there are separate business units for innovation
- 00:09:30 – Steve Blank recently mentioned that scaling is the crux of ambidexterity
- 00:15:30 – What is required to manage the space in between the core business and innovation units
- 00:20:30 – The principles required for successfully delivering dual innovation
- 00:23:30 – Where innovation should sit is based on what scope of business it is trying to change
- 00:25:00 – Idea progress needs a validation process to identify learning loops
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Ralph on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ralphchristianohr/