Podcast S6E147: Natalie Nixon – Embrace the chaortic nature of improvisational organisations
In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Natalie Nixon, founder of Figure 8 Thinking and author of the The Creativity Leap.
We speak about what jazz has to do with business, improvisational organisations and what it takes for teams to thrive in a chaortic world.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:02:30 – Natalie’s history with jazz, and learning how improvisation exists in organisations
- 00:08:00 – The structure behind teams improvising together
- 00:11:00 – Creativity is no longer a luxury in companies, it is now a necessity
- 00:13:15 – Creativity requires toggling between wonder and rigor to solve problems
- 00:15:45 – In order to innovate and be creative, you need to be willing to cede control
- 00:17:00 – The “Three I” framework: Inquiry, Improvisation, Intuition
- 00:21:00 – Intuition is about pattern recognition