In this episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with current editor of the Creativity Research Journal, Prof Michael D Mumford.
Dr. Michael D. Mumford is the George Lynn Cross Distinguished Research Professor of Psychology at the University of Oklahoma where he directs the Center for Applied Social Research. We speak about the current state of creativity research, the link between creativity and leadership, and where the field is going.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:00 – Dr Mumford’s start in creativity research, and the models which were developed as a result of his research
- 00:04:30 – The capabilities of creative people
- 00:06:15 – Why leaders need to be creative, bring out the creativity of their team and help facilitate
- 00:12:30 – Conceptual Combination and how new ideas are developed based on expertise and knowledge
- 00:18:00 – Whether there is subconscious incubation or whether it is conscious analysis
- 00:22:30 – Current trends and developments in Creativity Research: that creative people do not necessarily suffer from mental illness, more of a focus on personality traits, the effect of the world and environment’s constraints on creativity, and the finding of anomalies
- 00:27:30 – Creativity is not the same everywhere, it varies by domains
- 00:29:30 – What should come next in creativity research
- 00:33:00 – How most creative people do not hit their peak until their 40s or 50s
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Michael Mumford’s Google Scholar page: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=mink4SYAAAAJ&hl=en