In today’s episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with creativity and motivation expert Todd Henry. He is the author of 5 books on how to get the best creative performance out of yourself and creative teams, the Founder of the Accidental Creative and the podcast of the same name, and author of the upcoming book The Motivation Code.
We speak about how teams can be more effective when being creative together, as well as insights on what motivates people.
I was fortunate to be given early access to the unique MCODE assessment for what drives every person’s unique motivation factors and found it very interesting. For example, my top Motivation Profiles were Evoke Recognition, Be Unique and Explore, which do in fact relate to my driving forces. It’s a very interesting way of looking at your own, and your team’s motivations. I would suggest you get a copy of the book and the assessment to find out more about yourself as well.
Topics covered in today’s episode:
- 00:01:30 – How talent alone will not sustain creative productivity long term
- 00:03:00 – The challenges and frustrations of working in creative teams
- 00:05:30 – Everyone is creative, but people conflate creativity and art
- 00:07:30 – The evolution of Todd’s thinking around helping people’s creativity
- 00:10:00 – The origins of the Motivation Code
- 00:14:45 – How motivating factors can have positive, but also shadow (negative) aspects
- 00:18:00 – Extrinsic vs Intrinsic motivations are not discreet
- 00:22:00 – How this is different from other personality type indicators and helps teams work better together
Links mentioned in today’s episode:
- The Motivation Code book on amazon: https://amzn.to/36cgMWi
- The Motivation Code book pre-order bonuses (limited time): https://motivationcode.com/the-motivation-code-book/
- The Motivation Code assessment: https://motivationcode.com/motivation-assessment/
- Todd Henry’s website: https://www.toddhenry.com/