He is also distinguished as being the person who has trained more people to lead the creative problem solving process (CPS) than anyone else in the world.
Prof Firestien has a new book coming out called Create in a Flash: A Leader’s Recipe for Breakthrough Innovation. I recommend you go check out www.createinaflashbook.com, because he has also included several free high quality videos to show you the techniques of CPS.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:15 the foundational work of Alex Osborn, who invented brainstorming and then the Creative Problem Solving process, which had been validated by more than 150 research studies
- 00:02:45 why “brainstorming” had got such a bad reputation, and why companies do it wrong
- 00:03:15 you need a well defined problem to be solved
- 00:05:00 what he had learnt in his more than 40 years teaching these techniques
- 00:06:30 you should spend about 3-4x as long reviewing and prioritising ideas as you do generating them
- 00:08:15 the link between CPS and Design Thinking
- 00:09:45 the 4 different types of creativity, and how everyone can be (and already is) creative
- 00:13:15 practical techniques people can use, from his new book “Create in a Flash”
- 00:14:45 to spark your creativity, it is important to make connections